Saturday, November 01, 2014

Trivandrum Trip

Arrival in Trivandrum:
After eleven years happened to visit Trivandrum last month. That was a lovely trip. By the time we got into the car in Trivandrum airport, it was drizzing. Got to know that it was raining heavily sometime back. 

All set to go for the Trivandrum Trip.


Padmanabha Swamy Temple Visit:
We stuck to the decision to visit the Padmanabha Swamy Temple, though it was raining. The city was clean and the car started moving into the narrow roads of Trivandrum We reached the temple around 7:15 PM. Vehicles were not allowed near the temple and the car has to be parked some 200 mts away from the temple. 11 years back, in 2003 vehicles were allowed near to the temple. After the discovery of treasures inside the temple, lot of new rules had been put forth and there is a high security in and around the temple.


I noticed that in a board, it was written that the Dharsan ends by 7:30 PM. The time was already close to 7:20 PM. We quickly changed dress (or reduced the dress :-)...) near the car, since men have to strictly be in dhothi for entering the temple. So, we almost started running towards the temple. When we went near, we got to know that women had to wear saree. Those who are in Chudidhar have to buy a Mundu and compensate with it for the saree. Just before entering the temple, got to know that we cant even carry the shirt and baniyans with us inside the temple in our hands or in our shoulders. We have to leave them in the cloak room. I collected the shirts and baniyans from all and almost ran to the cloak room where I deposited them for a rent of Rs. 2 each.

In the cloak room, I found that people were even depositing their mobile phones and go to know that mobile phones are not allowed. When I was nearing the stairs leading into the Gopuram, Mama was already walking towards me with mobile phones. I took them and ran again to the cloak room. Along with the mobiles, I gave my new stainless steel ball pen, rather to avoid the risk another run to the cloak room.

Finally we all managed to enter the temple. My friend, little friends and Athai have already gone inside. I and Mama were almost running, when one Poojari told that just 1 minute left. I started running and finally managed to get on to the stage from where we can see the Padmanabha Swami in his Anantha Sayana. Had a nice Dharshan along with family and it was a Divine Experience(No pun intented!!!). We have to see the God in three parts, and eleven years back when I visited the temple in the November or December of 2003, we have walk from the direction of his feet. Now, we were walking from the direction of his head.

Kerela police everywhere inside the temple, bare chested and clad in dhothis, like a devotee, women police in saree. I thought of asking a policeman about the whereabouts of the treasures, atleast I want to know the approximate location of the treasures. But, later dropped that idea. Parents-in-law and my little friends went and sat comfortably in a location near the exit gate of the temple, when I and my friend went for a walk in side the temple. We had a nice time chatting, and I started explaining to her, as if I knew everything about the temple, and how the Royal family had kept the secret of the treasures for generations.

Finally we came out of the temple, and then started to a hotel for dinner. Her Chitapa took us to a hotel called "Arya Nivas". I had a light dinner with 2 idlis and 2 Nei Dosas. Then we started to Karamana, where we were supposed to stay in her relative's home. By now it started raining heavily. we had a warm welcome and had a good time there.

2nd Visit to Padmanabha Swami Temple:
Morning when I woke up, I found that the two Mamas were getting ready to go out somewhere. From seeing both Mama wearing dhothi, I could guess that they have started out to some temple. I thought that they are heading to some nearby temple. But, upon learning that they are starting out again to Padmanabha Swamy temple, I too joined them. I got ready quickly and we there started again to the temple. This time, I had a good Dharshan, lucky enough to spend about 15 minutes in front of Padmanabha's sannithi. We also got Sarkarai Pongal prasadam, while going around the temple.


The Padmanabha Swamy Temple.




A Posh Building in Modern Trivandrum.

Pattom Visit:
When we returned home, My friend was ready for the Pattom visit. I had breakfast of Idly and Sambhar vadai. (In my Friend's native, they have the habit of dropped vadai in Sambhar or Rasam and having it after it gets soaked in it. In the intial days of my marriage, when I saw a vadai immersed Sambhar, I thought someone had dropped the vadai inside Sambhar by mistake). At first, we considered many options to travel to Pattom, like, by car, then by bike, but finally we settled on auto, since I was a bit scared about finding the correct route to Pattom, and also Mama had already scared us saying that the Kerela police penalize vehicles with TN registration, the moment they see them in a one-way road. We caught an auto in the Thaliyal main road of Karamana, which started heading towards Pattom. 

I was exited, and my memories went back 11 years, when I was in the same city around the same time(months of Sep, Oct and Nov of 2003). I could identify all the places, the moment the auto entered into the Secretariat road. There is huge difference now. The area is posh now, with a 4 way lane. As the auto went along the Pattom road, I was explaining my friend, the places I used to come during my stay 11 years back, and also the landmarks in that locality. But I failed to show her the first ATM that I ever operated - an (then)UTI ATM(now Axis ATM).


The Posh Road in Pattom, Trivandrum.


The auto dropped us in front of the "Aruvi Tourist Home", where I stayed in my previous trip, 11 years ago. The tourist home remained almost the same. I showed her the phone booth, from which I used to call her, some 11 years back. Also I could spot the little tea shop in a "Thallu Vandi" on the opposite site of the road, where I regularly used to have tea. Lot of big buildings and complexes have come on the both sides of the road. On those days, just a wall used to be there. We started walking on the foot path from the Aruvi hotel. In those days, it used to a foot path, with stones. But now it is a nice foot path with red-tiles. The wall where there used to a movie poster with Navia Nayar - the poster at which I used to see whenever I cross that place - is now replaced with a posh building. In those days, I used to walk on that footpath, filled with worries and confusions about the future. Its not that now I walk without any worries or confusions. Its just that I now I have a different set of worries and confusions. Life goes on :-).


The Maruthi Suzuki showroom, in the place where a poster of Navya Nayar used to be there.



A Church in Pattom.

We took an auto back to Thaliyal from Pattom. The auto fares here were cheap compared to Chennai. The to and fro trip came to about Rs. 160. In Chennai, one side trip would have cost Rs. 150. On the way back, I tried to talk to the auto driver in Malayalam and he tried to talk to me in Tamil. Neither of us understood what that other said. But still the conversation lasted all the through the way. I just tried to enquire about the whereabouts of the Ajantha theatre, where I saw movies like "Boys" and "Thirumalai", 11 years back. Also, I asked him about the new Mohanlal's movie that was running there.

Upon reaching Karamana, we visited another relative's home on the next street in Thaliyal, after which we all started to the Kovalam beach. Kids seemed to enjoy the new location and getting introduced with new relatives.

Kovalam Beach:
We had to come out of the city to reach the Kovalam beach. Eleven years back, I entered the beach where there used to be a lighthouse. But now we entered through another area. No much shops were there in this place, and hence I missed the shopping that I was planning to have with my Friend and Little Friends.


Kovalam Beach.


After spening about 1.5 hours in Koavalam, we started to Nagerkoil, which brought of Trivandrum trip to an end. We had been planning this trip for about 8 years and we are happy that it materialized atleast now. Mama had told that he is ready to give company for coming by train from Nagerkoil to Trivandrum, for the temple and beach visit. Hoping to have such a trip soon.

- spgr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...